Sorry US Army, but we think the brits beat you out on their camo — Yes, this isn't multicam, but Multi Terrain Pattern, or MTP. Developed during the PECOC trials with some other experimental garments, MTP is like if Multicam/OCP and Disruptive Pattern Material had a baby — and honestly the longer we look at it the more it grows on us.
Now for the pants themselves — these are full-side-zip shell pants designed to be put on top of your other gear. "Shell" pants like these are designed with a few things in mind: light, easy to put on, and waterproof. The side zips allow you to don these without taking your boots off, and there's no need to worry about your belt since the waistband is elastic (with a cord cinch as well).
The knees are also their own separate "kneecap" patch allowing for more articulation, so the pants don't feel as stiff during high levels of activity — it's definitely a welcome feature when it's over the top of other gear too.
The brits definitely figured it out on this one. Maybe by copying our PCU homework a little...
- Genuine British Armed Forces Issue
- Features the UK's current issue camo, Multi Terrain Pattern (MTP)
- 100% polyamide + PTFE membrane
- 100% polyester mesh
- Semi-permeable waterproof shell allows for breathability and excellent waterproofing
- Ankle-to-hip side zips allow users to don pants over heavy gear like combat pants or boots, and access pockets of gear underneath
- Elastic waistband with draw cord for extra adjustment
- Velcro ankle adjustment
- Articulating reinforced knee patches
MTP Camo Types
When sorting, we noticed two distinct patterns of MTP:
Gen I, which has noticeably darker brown strokes and lighter secondary colors. Overall, much more light green.
Gen II, whose overall color consists of more browns and traditional multicam colors. Our model is wearing this colorway in the closeups.
The sizing system follows standard UK military sizing for pants:
- Small 70cm waist, 70 cm inseam
- Medium 80cm waist, 75cm inseam
- Large 90cm waist, 80cm inseam
- XL 100cm waist, 85cm inseam
The overall fit is looser and meant to fit over your combat fatigues and other layers.
Pants are unissued, with no signs of use.