Kommandostore Gorka M1s are constructed using Genuine NYCO ripstop fabric and 1000D Cordura, which differs from many Gorkas on the market, and require a different care routine when cleaning is necessary.
A note on NIR compliance & care
Fabric softeners and many off the shelf detergents can cause higher IR reflectivity of the Gorka suit, meaning it may no longer appear to be NIR compliant.
The best way to ensure that your suit stays minimally reflective in the infrared spectrum is to use detergents without an ingredient commonly referred to as an "optical brightener".
Below is a list of common optical brighteners:
- Disodium Diaminostilbene Disulfonate
- Fluorescent Brighteners
- Fluorescent Brightening Agents
- Fluorescent Optical Brighteners
- Fluorescent White Dyes
- Fluorescent Whitening Agents (FWAs)
- Optical Brightening Agents (OBAs)
- Optical Whiteners
- Organic Fluorescent Dyes
The USAF has a list of available detergents you can purchase without these ingredients here.
- Machine wash in cold or warm water (up to 40°C / 104°F)
- Use a mild detergent, and do not use bleach or fabric softener.
- Use low mechanical force, and avoid wringing
- Drip or hang dry
- Only iron the outer side at low or medium temperature (150-200°C / 302-572°F)
- Dry clean with tetrachloroethylene (PCE) only