After months of stocking some of the crazier examples of Alpenflage, we've finally got some of the more (relatively) sensible pieces the later model "M83" variants.
Alpenflage, also called TAZ 83, Pizza Camo, and what we've dubbed "Casserole Camo" was issued on different pieces of gear from the late 50s to the early 90s. In fall and early winter foliage the pattern performs at its best, matching the conditions of the Swiss Alps closer than other times of the year. When it hit the surplus market in the 90s, outside of its natural environment in the alps, it stuck out like a sore thumb — in both cool factor and pattern. It continues to intrigue curious surplus collectors and has amassed quite the diehard fandom for both it's functionality and it's unique pattern.
Now down to the field shirt in question — the swiss were astonishingly close to designing something normal, but as per usual, included their trademark odd features that only serve to give their surplus more charm. It's a 50/50 cotton/poly field jacket suitable for spring and fall thanks to its colorway and construction, and sports the typical breast pockets, epaulets, and cigarette pocket many European field shirts also have.
Lets get weird: It also features hip loops for securing an outer belt (presumably for load bearing equipment) zippered & elastic wrist cuffs and two-panel reinforced articulating elbows. Also, in case you lose the button on one of the epaulets, they thought to include a replacement button sewn in above the cigarette pocket for god knows what reason. In short, it's an "almost sensible" field jacket from the Swiss, in their most infamous camo. And that alone might just be right up your alley.
- 50/50 Cotton/poly construction
- YKK Zippers
- 2 front snapped breast pockets
- 1 Snapped "cigarette pocket" on left shoulder
- 2 Snap closure hip belt loops
- Reinforced elbows
- Elastic & Zipped wrist cuffs
The M83 field shirts seem to run a touch large- not a bad idea to go one size down for a more casual fit, or stay to your true EU size if you're throwing layers underneath.
Note: Model is 6' 0", with a 38" chest and wore a Size EU 48 without issue.
- Lightly used and well cared for.
- Alpenflage Pattern remains vibrant.
- Perfectly functional with either minor or no cosmetic blemishes, abrasions, or other signs of use.
- Alpenflage Pattern may be slightly worn.
- Minor cosmetic blemishes, abrasions, or other signs of use. This includes fabric repairs done in the field.
- May exhibit writing and/or markings, including rank, serial numbers, etc.