The "Assault Pack" is a catch-all term nowadays for any pack that's about 20-30L in size, perfect for about 3 days worth of sustainment, and makes for a great day hiking pack. This is the MOLLE II Assault pack, which a lot of other assault packs take notes off of — In other words, this one's the OG.
with 38 Liters of space, this pack is the perfect size for packing heavy on a day outing, or packing light for three. A lot of it's features are military-oriented, but incredibly versatile. The main pocket is 24 liters, with the extra 16 coming from the front pocket, originally intended for a gas mask or a six-magazine bandoleer. The main compartment is zippered shut with a storm flap covering the opening to aid water resistance.
On the exterior of the pack, there's PALS webbing to attach extra sustainment pouches or other accessories, and compression straps on the sides of the pack. The top of the pack has two buckled straps for attaching a bedroll, poncho, or other rain gear for quick access.
The shoulder straps also feature the all-important quick-release buckles. by unsnapping the pull tab and pulling upwards, the pack quickly falls off your body in an emergency (be sure the sternum strap and optional hip belt are unbuckled first). Inside the pack, you might notice the white webbing — These are type 8 straps used for attaching the pack to a parachute bag during static line parachuting operations.
It's a fantastic 3-day pack on a budget, and with a load rating of 60 pounds, it's robust enough to handle all sorts of abuse that most off the shelf hiking packs couldn't hope to match.
- Made in the USA by Specialty Defense
- 2350 Cubic Inch (38 Liter) total capacity — 1525 cubic inch main compartment, 825 cubic inch front "claymore" pocket.
- Designed to carry up to 60 pounds
- PALS webbing on sides for attaching extra sustainment pouches
- Zippered main pocket access with storm flap
- 2 sets of horizontal compression straps
- "Claymore" front pocket holds gas masks, bandoleers, and of course, a freaking claymore.
- Fastex buckled bedroll loop on top
- Padded shoulder straps with quick-release buckles
- Stowable nylon hip belt
Packs are free from blems, stains, rips, tears, or holes. UCP pattern remains vibrant, and all hardware is intact and entirely functional.
Packs may have minor blems or stains but remain free from rips, tears, or holes. UCP pattern may be worn (although this is where the pattern shines in terms of actually being a usable camo), and plastic back insert may be missing, although the pack is comfortable without it to be honest.