Broadly similar to the US ALICE system, the indigenously developed German LKS falls into the same category of "early modular" load bearing systems. Designed with a repeating series of specially-shaped grommets, the LKS allows compatible "modules" to be directly attached anywhere they are needed.
Holsters, backpacks, ammunition pouches, and anything else a boy could need for a good time in the woods — all of them hook on and snap into place. While slightly behind today's standard issue, the LKS system is still fully capable and compatible components are plentiful on the secondary market.
The rig itself is almost entirely composed of Cordura nylon — the bag, belt, and all strappings are essentially bombproof. Properly adjusted, everything fits close to the wearer, making it speedy and agile despite its age.
Main Pack or "Haversack"
The mehrzwecktasche (translates directly to "multipurpose pocket") is more often called a "haversack" by English speakers. In concept, it is a clear relative of the "assault pack" designed to carry the bare essentials for 48–72 hours in the field.
Measuring about ten liters, the haversack fits close to the body and does not significantly offset the wearer's center of gravity. This makes it great for highly aerobic activity like running, sprinting, and diving into cover — the small size and close fit of the bag minimizes the "sloshing" effect common with larger packs.
The modular nature of the system also means the haversack can be detached and carried separately if needed. Most haversacks have a permanently attached internal strap specifically for this purpose.
Closure is accomplished with two sturdy buckles.
G3 Magazine Pouches
Designed to fit two 20 round G3 magazines, this magazine pouch will accommodate most 20 round 7.62 NATO magazines including M14/M1A pattern, AR10 pattern, and FAL pattern magazines. For those inclined towards 5.56, almost all 20 rounders of that variety will work as well.
Each pouch features padded dividers, designed to minimize battle rattle, and drainage holes to keep the damp out of your gear. Works well holding small items like tourniquets, bandages, phones, etc.
Overall size is 15cm tall, 8cm wide, and 6.5cm deep.
- Large Main Pouch "Haversack"
- Approximately 11.8" x 9.8" x 4.7"
- Cordura nylon in Flecktarn
- Designed for general purpose storage of miscellaneous field items
- Two adjustable buckles for fastening and compressing pouch
- Two riveted LKS adapter plates for attachment to webbing — attaches to any 2x6 LKS webbing grommets
- Two G3 Double Magazine Pouches
- Designed for G3 7.62 20-round magazines
- Can fit most 20-round or similar-sized magazines
- Such as: H&K 91, AR-10, AR-15, AUG, M16, M14, M1A
- Approximately 5.9" x 3.1" x 2.5"
- Cordura nylon in Flecktarn
- Drain grommet for water and loose dirt
- "Spanish fly" speed fastener
- Riveted LKS adapter plate for attachment to webbing, attaches to any 2x2 LKS webbing grommets
- LKS Belt
- This big boy belt is very big and wide
- Cordura nylon in olive drab
- Four strap adjustment anchor points for yoke
- LKS grommet holes line entirety of belt
- Large FASTx buckle with adjustment strap for sizing
- Cordura nylon in Olive Drab
- Threads onto anchor points on LKS belt
- Adjustable FASTx buckle secures shoulder straps together across sternum
- 2x6 LKS webbing plate on back
- 2x2 LKS webbing plates on both shoulders
- Small - adjustable between 85–100 cm (33.5" - 39.4")
- Large - adjustable between 100–115 cm (39.4" - 45.3")
- Grade 1 - Excellent to Great condition, some parts possibly unissued
- Grade 2 - Good to Serviceable condition, definite signs of use, worn edging, and cosmetic blemishes such as fading. No holes or other damage which would render the system unfit for use.